6th October 2020
I am writing this letter in the hope that you are good and this is my prayer. My last communication to you was on 18th September 2020 when we were about to conclude the January – April 2020 Semester and the June – August 2020 Trimester Teaching and Learning and Online Examinations. I took the same opportunity to provide you with some practical concerns regarding the Online Registration, the Online Teaching and Learning and the dates for our new Semester that shall run up to 18th December 2020 among others.
As of now, I am aware that you are all waiting for this communication, following what the CS Education said in his 29th September’s Circular on III) “Final Year Students in all Universities and thier Constituent Colleges will report on Monday, 5th October 2020” and on IV) “The respective Universitiy Councils and their Senates will announce the date for resumption of in-person learning for students in other academic classes, with priority being accorded to those undertaking science – based courses.”
The MIUC Management Board on its meeting of 2nd October 2020, after the CUEA Senate deliberations on the same subject on 1st October 2020, launched an Online Survey that brought to our attention the need to consider all our Students who are unable to come on Campus for various reasons. Although MIUC can comply with the WHO and MoH safety protocols (use of face masks, social distancing of 1.5m, temperature checks, washing of hands and sanitizers, etc.), but a good number of students find it difficult to come for Face-to-Face (F2F) and to sustain expenses related to accommodation, feeding, transport, etc.
Therefore, MIUC Management decides:
- That all finalist Students who need to do some practicals in Sciences and Technology should report to MIUC as from 12th October 2020.
- That the rest of MIUC students (New and continuing Students) shall continue with Online / Virtual Courses till the time of Semester examinations (4th December 2020).
- That the End of Semester examinations (September – December 2020), if everything goes well, shall be administered on Campus (F2F) from 7th to 18th December 2020 (2 weeks).
- That any student who wishes to come on Campus for consultation, research, and ICT purposes, shall formally request the Management for approval.
- That the re-opening of MIUC Campus shall be fully implemented by January 2021.
We plead with you to understand the dynamics related to these decisions and to do all that is in your power to embrace Distance learning. As you have seen, we do not stop learning because we have stopped physically going to MIUC, on the contrary. Even though challenges are waiting for us, let us turn them all into opportunities. And as the world has gone digital, let us make “digital citizenship” a reality for MIUC students and staff. We hope we will be in class again when time and circumstances shall allow. Be blessed.
Br. Dr. Albert Nzabonaliba (fms)
Tel (WhatsApp): +254 720 947 037