Dear members of MIUC Teaching Staff
In my earlier communication to you on 30th July 2020, I had mentioned to you that we could conduct Online Open-Book Examinations but, after due consultations particularly with CUEA practices today – and together with HoDs – we have agreed to administer a three-hour Trimester & 2nd Semester Exams as we have been doing with a Compulsory question and choosing two other questions among four (not Open-Book questionaire). The only difference is that we shall harden or calibrate the questionnaire to avoid any gross temptations into Examination malpractices.
For instance, for all those on Certificate (and even Diploma) programs, we wish they could write essay questions related to restricted responses. This means questions that evaluate the ability to explain cause-effect relationships; describe applications of principles; present relevant arguments; formulate valid conclusions; state necessary assumptions; describe the limitations of data; explain methods and procedures while those on Bachelor’s Degree programs to write essay questions in relation to extended responses: produce, organize, and express ideas; integrate learnings in different areas; create original forms (e.g., designing an experiment); evaluate the worth of ideas.
With the exception of Units that entail Calculations but, for those on Certificate (Diploma) programs, design Questions evaluating the following abilities or competences: i.e.
- Summarizing: State and explain the main points included in … ; Briefly summarize the contents of …
- Relating cause & effects: What would be the most likely effects of … ? What are the major causes of …?
- Comparing: Describe the similarities and differences between … ; Compare and contrast the following two or three methods for … and explain.
- Generalizing: Formulate several valid generalizations from the following data … ; State a set of principles that can explain the following …
- Classifying: Group the following items according to … ; What do the following items have in common? Expound your answers.
- Applying: Using the principle of … as a guide, describe how you would solve the following problem situation … ; Describe a situation that illustrates the principle of …
Excluding again Units involving Calculations, for those on Degree programs, Lecturers should assess the following capabilities or competences: i.e.
- Analyzing: Describe the reasoning errors in the following paragraph … ; Describe the main characteristics of … apply one of them in a given life situation
- Synthesizing: Describe a plan for proving that … ; Write a well-organized report that shows …
- Inferring: In light of the facts presented, what is the most likely event to happen when … ; How would … be likely to react to the following issue?
- Justifying: Which of the following alternatives would you favor, and why ? Explain why you agree or disagree with the following statement …
- Evaluating: Describe the strengths and weaknesses of … ; Using the given criteria, write an evaluation of …
- Creating: List as many ways as you can think of for … ; Make up a story describing what would happen if …
Regarding the new Academic Year 2020/2021.
- Orientation or Induction of New Students: 11th August 2020.
- All the HoDs should give the list of Units on offer for September by 14th August 2020 to facilitate registration of students during the trainings and uploading of the units.
- First Semester Online Registration for all students for 2020/2021: 24th August 2020.
- Deadline for MIUC Registration (all): 21st September 2020.
- Online Classes for all continuing students shall begin from 21st September 2020.
The coming Online Examinations (Trimester & January – April 2020 courses):
- End of Online Trimester classes (those on Trimester Registration): 28th August 2020.
- E-learning/Online Examinations Training for students: 12th – 20th August 2020.
- Mock Examination for New & Continuing students: 21st August 2020.
- Specific Online Training for Lecturers: 22nd August 2020 (9.00 am – 13.00 hours).
- Online Trimester examinations shall kick off on 1st Sept 2020 – 5th Sept 2020.
- Online Second Semester Examinations (January – April 2020): 7th – 18th Sept 2020.
- We will have three examinations sessions per day: each session will have three (3) hours (7: 00 am – 10: 00 am; 11: 00 am – 00 pm and 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm).
Last but not least, may I call you again for the need for Advertising MIUC Academic Programs to all those you meet, all those you know are looking for Quality training and education for their young ones or relatives and friends? Please, do not hesitate and help us reach out to them and grow together. Your contribution will make a difference.
Br. Dr. Albert Nzabonaliba (fms)
Tel (WhatsApp): +254 720 947 037